Posts

Showing posts with the label #Xenophobia

Photos of Nigerian businesses burnt in fresh xenophobic attack in South Africa

Image
Earlier today, LIB reported that 3 Nigerians were injured in a new wave of xenophobic violence rocking South Africa.  An update on the recent attack which started in the early hours of Tuesday October 22, at different locations of Witbank, Mpumanlaga Province of South Africa revealed that 5 Nigerian-owned business outlets were burnt down by the group made up of community members and taxi drivers.  Some Nigerian-owned business outlets burnt and looted in the fresh attack include a big spare parts dealership, two restaurants, a grocery shop and a Nigerian foodstuffs shop.

#Xenophobia: "When you are in a foreign country respect their laws" President Buhari tells Nigerians (video)

Image
Following the recent Xenophobic attacks in South Africa, President Buhari has charged Nigerians in other countries to ensure they respect the laws of the land in their host countries. President Buhari gave the charge when he spoke at a joint press conference with the South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, yesterday September 3rd. President Buhari is currently in South Africa to express his displeasure of the Xenophobic attacks that led to destruction of properties owned by Nigerians and other African nationals residing in the country.  Speaking at the press conference, the President said ''I think Nigerians know the stand of the leadership that when you are in Rome, you do waht the Romans do. When you are in a country, you study the people and the laws and you get yourself in line with what the authorities and the people accept there'' he said Watch a video from the press conference below. View this post on Instagram

No Nigerian was killed in the latest xenophobic attack - South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa tells Obasanjo

Image
President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa has told former President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo, that no Nigerian was killed in the latest xenophobic attacks in the country.   Obasanjo, who was in South Africa to launch a book he co-authored, met Ramaphosa and discussed the xenophobic attacks and other issues affecting the two countries.   Spokesperson for Ramaphosa, Khusela Diko, said the two leaders also used the opportunity to reflect on recent events in Africa. “The leaders engaged on misconceptions created about the situation in South Africa that gave the impression that Nigerian nationals in particular had been victimised. No loss of life was reported among Nigerian nationals in South Africa during this period.   “Former President Obasanjo expressed his sincere appreciation of President Ramaphosa’s recent appointment of a team of Special Envoys who have in the past few days visited a number of African states to deliver a message from the President regarding

No need to apologize to Nigeria over xenophobia – Mayor of Johannesburg (video)

Image
Mayor of Johannesburg Herman Mashaba has revealed that he feels that apologizing to Nigeria over the xenopobic attacks was unnecessary.  Speaking on CNBC Africa’s Political Capital on Tuesday September 17, the South African Mayor said he doesn't see the xenophobic attack as an "incident" as it was bound to happen.  “No, there is nothing for me to apologise about,” Mashaba said while reacting to the letter of apology from President Cyril Ramaphosa to the Nigerian government “What do you expect me to really apologise for? “We are not going to turn a blind eye on such evil crime happening under our watch,” Mashaba said, adding that “the country [South Africa] also owes an official apology to the 10.2 million unemployed South Africans who are today without jobs as a result of billions of counterfeit goods being brought illegally into the country, killing local manufacturing.” Here is the video below; View this post on Instagram

Babes Wodumo's show in Zimbabwe cancelled over her tweets which supported Xenophobia

Image
Babes Wodumo who was booked to headline the Mapopoma Festival at the Victoria Falls Sports Club in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, from 29-31 December 2019, has been dropped by organizers of the event over her tweets which supported xenophobia.  Recall that the South African singer had a  heated exchange with Ice Prince over her tweets shared when the xenophobic attacks led to a showdown between Nigerians and South Africans. She accused Nigerians of bringing in drugs into South Africa, an act she claimed led to the xenophobic attacks. Babes Wodumo also alleged that Zimbabweans were stealing RDP houses meant for South Africans.  However after the xenophobic storm was quelled, she claimed her Twitter account was hacked.  Confirming that Babes Wodumo won't be performing at the event in Zimbabwe, the festival’s founder and operations director, Patrick Mhofu Musonza, said concertgoers were not convinced by Babes’ claims of being hacked and warned her not to set foot in Zimbab

817 Nigerians waiting for evacuation in South Africa – FG

Image
The Federal government has revealed that about 817 Nigerians are waiting to be evacuated from South Africa as of Tuesday September 17.  Though the Federal Government said 604 Nigerians registered for evacuation last week, the Consul-General of the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa, Godwin Adama disclosed that the number of those who had registered  for evacuation increased to 1,004 out of which 187 have already been evacuated.  Also making a complaint of some individuals who registered for evacuation failing to show up, the Consul-General told Punch that they are addressing the technical issues and other challenges that are discouraging such people.  He further revealed that about five coaches were being filled with people for the trip to the airport, including many children. He said, “We have been working since 6am when I got here (consulate). I have not sat down. We have 320 coming back tomorrow(Wednesday).Some people who are supposed to be on the flight, whe

Xenophobia: Olusegun Obasanjo writes a letter to the founder of the Inkatha Freedom Party, in SA, Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi

Image
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has urged the African countries, whose citizens were affected by xenophobic attacks in South Africa to report to the African Union.     He also advised the affected countries including Nigeria to take other measures if the first option does not yield the desired results.   Obasanjo stated this today in his latest letter written to the founder of the Inkatha Freedom Party, in South Africa, Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi. The former president said he wanted the affected African countries to table appropriate motions at the African Union as a first option and consider other measures if the situation continues unabated. Obasanjo, who described xenophobic attacks on foreigners by South Africans as a  great disservice to Africa, called for urgent reconciliation between the xenophobic countries and  South Africa. He said, “For any African country to encourage or allow or not seriously sanction xenophobia against Africans in their country is

President Cyril Ramaphosa apologizes to Nigeria over xenophobic attacks (video)

Image
Barely a day after some South Africans engaged in a peaceful demonstration to apologize to countries affected by the recent xenophobic attacks which led to the evacuation of some Nigerians, the country's President Cyril Ramaphosa has also apologized to the Nigerian government.  Head of South Africa's special envoy, Mr Jeff Radebe tendered the apology on behalf of President Ramaphosa during a closed door meeting with President Buhari at the state house in Abuja.  A letter which conveyed the message from the South African leader was also presented to President Buhari at the meeting which the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Nigeria’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Kabiru Bala; as well as the acting South African High Commissioner in Nigeria, Bobby Moroe were present in.  Speaking on behalf of the South African Leader, Radebe said the attacks provided a good opportunity for African leaders to tackle unemployment and inequality in the entire co

Xenophobia: Kenyan TV Station Hails Wizkid, Burnaboy, Blasts Diamond Platinumz For Failing To Speak On Attacks

Image
A Kenyan television station, Tuko TV has in its message to South Africa on the recent xenophobic attacks which rocked the country, hailed Nigerian music stars such as Wizkid, Burna Boy and Tiwa Savage, while taking shots at Tanzanian music sensation, Diamond Platinumz for failing to condemn the attacks. In the video which was posted on YouTube, Tuko TV condemned the attacks in its entirety. They made reference to the attacks and commended those who had spoken out, especially Wizkid, noting that his words were powerful. A reference was also made on the fact that Tiwa Savage boycotted a musical performance in South Africa following the attacks. However, Diamond Platinumz, who was reported to have recently gone to South Africa to perform at a show, was criticised. He, along with musical artistes from Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda was called out for failing to speak up against the attacks. Watch the video below and kindly leave us your comments:

South Africans engage in peaceful demonstration to beg Nigerians for forgiveness over xenophobic attacks (video)

Image
A video making rounds online captured moment South Africans engaged in a peaceful demonstration to beg Nigerians and citizens of other African countries for forgiveness over the xenophobic attacks.  The South Africans sang as they marched through the streets and also held up a banner which called for unity among Africans, weeks after the attacks which led to destruction of properties and looting of shops owned by foreigners.  Here is the video below;  View this post on Instagram South Africans engage in peaceful demonstration to ask #Nigeria and other African countries for forgiveness over xenophobic attacks A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial) on Sep 15, 2019 at 4:43am PDT   This follows up LIB's report of President Cyril Ramaphosa dispatching a special envoy to seven African countries to deliver a solidarity message and also brief each country's government on the South African

Xenophobia: President Cyril Ramaphosa dispatches special envoys to African countries after being booed at Mugabe's burial

Image
A special envoy made up of three officials have been dispatched by President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa to some seven African countries after he was booed at former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's funeral in Harare on Saturday September 14.  The special envoy made up of former minister Jeff Radebe, Ambassador Kingsley Mmabolo and Khulu Mbatha, a veteran leader of the ruling African National Congress will be visiting Nigeria, Niger, Ghana, Senegal, Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Zambia to deliver a message of solidarity and also brief each country's government on steps South Africa is taking to end the xenophobic attacks.  “The special envoys will brief governments in the identified African countries about the steps that the South African government is taking to bring a stop to the attacks and to hold the perpetrators to account,” the statement from South Africa's presidency read.  Recall that the South African President was booed

#Xenophobia: South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa booed at Mugabe's funeral service (video)

Image
Cyril Ramaphosa, the President of South Africa got embarrased today as he was booed by angry Zimbabweans at the funeral service of former President Mugabe in the capital, Harare. The funeral service, which took place at the National Sports Stadium, had in attendance heads of state and former presidents joining Zimbabweans in paying tribute to the former states man. Ramaphosa took to the stage to deliver his condolences but he was interrupted by boos from the crowd. Recall that in recent weeks, Nigerians and other Africans have experienced series of violent Xenophobic attacks that led to shops being looted and properties vandalized. Twelve people have died, many have been arrested and hundreds of immigrants – including Nigerians and Zimbabwean – have left the country. When he was finally allowed to speak, Ramaphosa apologised for the attacks on fellow Africans in his country. South Africans are not xenophobic. Foreign nationals are welcomed in SA. This we do to

South Africa may impose 10-year travel ban on evacuated Nigerians

Image
The various obstacles reportedly imposed by the South African airport and immigration officials during the evacuation of the first batch of Nigerians that opted to leave the country over xenophobic attacks, seems to have a strategic end-game of a travel ban.  LIB reported earlier that the Air Peace Boeing 777 aircraft arrived the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Ikeja, Lagos at 9.34 pm as the 9am flight did not depart the OR Tambo International Airport until 4pm.  It was learnt that the South African Foreign Affairs ministry saw the evacuation as “a yellow card to Nigeria-South Africa relations", hence the imposition of a biometric capture of all returning individuals. Some officials said that the biometric exercise which saw the cancellation of South African visas possessed by the Nigerians, was instituted to blacklist the evacuated Nigerians.  An official told Punch, “When you are evacuating your citizens from a country, it is like sending a stron

#Xenophobia: Second batch of Nigerians to leave South Africa on September 14th

Image
The next flight airlifting Nigerians who indicated interest to voluntarily leave South Africa would leave the country on Saturday, September 14th.   The Nigerian government had ordered the immediate evacuation of Nigerians from South Africa following a renewed xenophobic attack in the country. Already, a batch of 187 Nigerians transported by Air Peace had arrived in the country on Wednesday night with the Nigerian government promising returnees stipends and entrepreneurship training. Confirming the takeoff of the second batch from South Africa, Prince Ben Okoli, President of Nigerian Citizen Association, South Africa (NICASA) said collation of names is ongoing by the Nigerian embassy in South Africa. “We are busy doing the collating of names of intending returnees for the next flight. Hopefully, according to the consul general, the next evacuation will be done on Saturday,” he said.

Heartbreaking video of a Nigerian mother and her child sleeping at the Nigerian embassy in South Africa

A heartbreaking video of a young Nigerian mother and her son sleeping at the Nigerian consulate in South Africa has surfaced days after some Nigerians were evacuated from the country.  The young mother is reportedly one of the Nigerians that have opted to leave South Africa over the xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals by South Africans. The Nigerian lady who has been sleeping at the consulate since Tuesday September 12, said she is waiting to make the next bus that will take her and others to the airport to be flown back to Nigeria for free.  Speaking on the steps of the consulate, while holding her young child, the woman said, "I'm leaving South Africa because of the fight [sic] and it affect my area a lot. They burnt all the shops, some houses and even my flat. They came there. So I just have to leave". The mother of one revealed that she has been in South Africa for 5 years and doesn't know if she will ever come back. She also expressed hope

Xenophobia: South Africans attack Pakistanis, loot their shops after forcing some Nigerians to leave their country (video)

Image
A video which has gone viral on social media, captured moment some Pakistani traders engaged in a fight with some South Africans who attacked and looted their stores.  Some looters were spotted fleeing with some appliances looted from stores owned by foreigners during the attack which occurred at Witbank on Wednesday September 11. While a Pakistani man who seem to have had enough of the looters was spotted hitting one of the men who came out of his store, the video also showed that a police officer was present at the scene of the incident but he was outnumbered by the looters.Two other shop owners also turned up to beat up a second man. The police officer however intervened and broke up the scuffle. View this post on Instagram #Xenophobia: South Africans move on from looting Nigerian shops to robbing and looting shops owned by Pakistanis in Witbank.....are they drug dealers too?? ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿง๐Ÿง A post shared by Linda